Being healthy, eating clean and having a mainly whole food approach to your diet does not mean you have to miss out on delicious and sweet treats. I have always had a very sweet tooth. In the past I would buy the over processed sweets and cakes to curb my sugar cravings. Or bake at home with refined flours and sugars.
Three years ago I made a dramatic change to my lifestyle to lose over 25kg and regain my health back. You can read my story here.
Through this journey I have discovered my passion of creating healthy and nutritious snacks and treats. I realised very quickly that you could recreate most recipes using unrefined ingredients and still keep the authentic, sweet and delicious taste. Most importantly I was actually nourishing my body and also providing healthier options for my family and loved ones.
Recently I become one of the newest Food Columnist for Good Health NZ Magazine. I will be sharing my favourite snack and breakfast recipes with the readers monthly. This month they featured my Homemade Bounty Bars.
So I thought I would share this fantastic recipe with you all. Bounty Bars are one of my favourite chocolate bars. Nothing beats the combination of chocolate and coconut. I wanted to recreate this old favourite using mainly unrefined and healthy ingredients but keeping the authentic bounty bar taste. I truly believe I have achieved this and I know you will love this recipe. It will be a big hit amongst your friends and family members.
2/3 cups of raw cashew nuts
2 cups shredded coconut
3 Tbsp organic coconut cream
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of himalayan salt
150g of 85% organic dark chocolate
3 Tbsp shredded coconut for topping
1. Add all ingredients into a food processor except the dark chocolate and the extra shredded coconut for topping
2. Process until mixture comes together
3. Take a handful of the mixture and mould into your desired shape and size (rectangular, cylinder)
4. Place onto a plate or board which is covered with baking paper and place into freezer to set while you melt your chocolate
5. To melt the chocolate place in a double boiler and melt slowly. Once fully melted remove your chocolate from the heat
6. Remove your bounty bars from the freezer and place each bar into the melted chocolate and cover fully
7. Once coated place each bar back onto the baking paper and sprinkle over your shredded coconut (you can also keep them plain)
8. Place back in the fridge to set. Keep in the fridge until serving